Vacancy for Legal Officer
The St. Vincent and the Grenadines National Insurance Services is inviting applications for the post of Legal Officer.
The prospective Legal Officer will be responsible for providing advice and support to all areas of the institution with particular emphasis on the Compliance Division to ensure that the NIS’ activities are in line with applicable regulations, rules, policies and procedures. The role requires the individual to interact with all levels of staff within and outside of the NIS. The Legal Officer must be able to exercise independent judgment and provide practical legal advice to the NIS.
The list of principal duties includes:
- Prepare legal documents, correspondence, reports and presentations. Prepares legal instruments using standardized forms approved by the Senior Legal Officer and supports the transactions towards contract execution.
- Prepare legal recommendations, legal memos, provide advice to committees and in formal and nonformal settings.
- Proofreads, edits and compares documents, ensures that legal documents are properly executed and adjudicated and coordinates appearance of officers before notaries and similar officials
- Perform follow-up action on Claims and other documents filed at the Court Registries.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information.
- Entering and updating court files, communicate the outcome of court matters in a timely matter and provide information to the administrative officers in the Legal Business Unit to allow them to efficiently carry out their duties.
- Conducts preliminary investigations into the facts of matter and requests supporting documents and information to support legal work of the work of the business unit.
- Tracks litigation and regulatory matters, including preparing periodic reports.
- Keep up-to-date with local legislation, understand their implications for the industry and the organization.
- Play an active role in communicating with the clerical staff in the business unit to lead and guide them especially in relation to legal principles. The officer would also be responsible for ensuring that the administrative staff’s performance is in line with the organization’s standards and would have primary responsibility for assessing their performance.
- Work closely with the Compliance Business Unit of the organization.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by the Senior Legal Counsel from time to time.
The key skills, abilities and knowledge required are:
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills
- Good judgement in determining work assignments
- Work independently, exercise creativity, attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude
- Manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities, prioritize scheduling of work
- Complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to manage personnel and work effectively in a team.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a demanding work environment
- Integrity and professional ethics
Qualification and Experience
- A Degree in Law (LLB)
- Three to five years as a legal practitioner
- Advanced skills in Excel, Word, Power point, Access, Publisher and other relevant software
- Awareness of issues of social security, risk, digital transformation, financial issues, human resource issues would be an asset
The NIS offers an attractive remuneration package including medical benefits and a staff supplementary pension that is consistent with your skills, experience and knowledge.
How to apply:
Interested and eligible candidates may forward their applications to the;
National Insurance Services
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Closing date for Applications: Friday 31st, March 2023